Sunday, September 26, 2010

If it looks like a fish and swims like a fish...it could be chicken?

So say you are part of this wonderful planet called Earth, which I hoping you all are, if not, there may be a few Area 51 stops for you.  Now, being part of this wonderful planet, you realize that there are more people to feed every year and it takes time to grow things, from plants to animals. So what do we do? Go hungry? Not likely in the world of convenience and an on the go attitude. Instead we look to the scientists. Here they have found a way to genetically alter animals to rush the growth process to make animals bigger, more appealing, and able to feed people quicker. (sound almost like a superhero, SUPER FOOD)
However, in the light of recent media coverage about genetically altered salmon, this process of creating "Super Food" has come under fire.  We are finding that scientists (not farmers) are producing our food. These scientists are in a lab genetically combining the genes of two species to hurry up the evolution process. By doing so, we are creating animals that can no longer procreate (ie the turkey with such large breasts that they have lost the ability to have sex) to satisfy our desire for a certain meat.  Even when trying to keep the unmodified and the modified apart isn’t working. Thousands upon thousands of fish escape each year, spawning with “natural fish”. So we don’t even know what we are eating if we catch it ourselves.
 We are crossing animals and plants that would never come in contact with one another to make a super group that can feed many. Now we can ponder what these Super Foods are doing to our bodies. Already the insects that feed off of the mutated crops are beginning to change…evolution is happening (but on steroids) all around us. We are all changing all the time, but how will our grandchildren look/behave after being fed a constant diet of mutated food? And how far will scientists go to make a more desirable product? No longer are we looking to farmers, but to scientists and companies to keep us safe. Not a very good idea in my opinion, as they are looking for a profit increase while ignoring increasing waistlines. I feel that as consumers, we should be more aware of what we are putting into our bodies, be more aware of what we are doing to our bodies just by eating.
Reference: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=11701456
(notice the story is under technology, not food, diet, or news of the strange? yes, I find it very telling.)

2 comments:

  1. I never really thought about what these Super Foods could do to our bodies and the fact that the article is under technology really scares me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a link handy but I've read about the new genetically modified salmon. As with all GM foods I think it's just plain unnatural.

    I can't imagine what the consequences we would face if GM fish make their way into our oceans. Ugggh.

    ReplyDelete