Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fast Food...and opinon

Obesity is a national epidemic. The rich are growing richer, the poor are growing fatter. With so many fast food options being made available for a dollar, many of the lower income levels seek out these deals, but with options so limited and money so scarce these are a way to feed the family.
The problem is this cheap food is filled with sugars and calories; both of which aids in the obesity epidemic.  With 15% of children and 1/3 of adults losing the battle of the bulge, we need to find ways to overcome the fast food chain’s addiction. But how do we overcome the cheapness of food? How do we change the way we have been programmed? We accept the weight as the way things just are and with the world being so fast paced that we often eat fast food on the way somewhere.
But in reality, the fast food industry needs to take responsibility for their actions. Instead of making meals larger (coughcoughBurgerKingcoughcough) they should be finding foods that aren’t so calorie laden. Find foods that protect the consumers. Yeah it’s going to cost some money but it will work in the long run. People are tired of the same old foods and are seeking an alternative. Instead of marketing for cheaper, these companies should be making new products that would make the consumer healthier. This is where the future is going and fast food companies need to make a change.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/05/health/main591325.shtml

4 comments:

  1. I have sadly fallen under this trend myself. I am part of the obesity epidemic. (surprise surprise). However, I do not eat out that often. If I do I try to lean more towards the more expensive grilled chicken sandwiches or even a salad which I know is still not that great for me but hey it beats the hamburger dripping in nasty grease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the fast food industry needs to take responsibility and not make JUMBO sized meals.New products in fast food would be a blessing for all. I also understand that we make a decision to turn into the parking lots of fast food restaurants and ask for JUMBO sized meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really true. Fast food companies are the cause of obesity. The fight against the battle of the bulge should start from there

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I am kind of impartial about the obesity thing since I work at Mcdonalds. While the customers are the ones asking for the larger sizer I am always assuming the meal is a medium instead of a large. I am not supposed to ask what size they would like.. wait.. I might have to?? Well lets just say at the one I work at you won't hear me asking if they would like a bigger size for such and such cents like "Burger King"... So it definitely goes both ways.

    ReplyDelete