...than I must be really sweet.
So my question today is sugar and how much is in that soda you are currently drinking. (admit it, you were). To begin, we need to know that 1 tablespoon equals 12 grams. Therefore, know that in a name brand soda (starting with a CC) can, which is 12 ounces, there are 39 grams or 3.25 TABLESPOONS. Now, knowing most people they drink more than one can a day. If this is you...you could be drinking your daily allowance of sugar in one soda. Based on a 2000 calorie diet, one should allow about 32 grams of sugar a day. Wait. That is one 12 ounce soda. ONE. And that is 6% of your calories for the day. Having four sodas or 48 ounces is 24% of daily allowance. How many calories are in one 12 oz can? 140. So with 140 calories times four...you are drinking 560 calories.
560 calories. Pishposh say some. But think about this:
400 calories could be a grilled salmon, 1/2 cup brown rice and grilled veggies. The extra 160 could be ice cream.
560 calories could be a personal pizza with ham and cheese
560 calories are SEVEN eggs
Now, I don't know about you...but I am thinking I would rather eat my calories. Drinking them makes me thirsty later (sodium is 50 mg in 12 oz.) and makes me crave more sugar. It is no wonder that obesity is abound...soda has become a staple. Children younger and younger are becoming addicted to the sweet drink. It has been found that there is a link between diabetes and high fructose corn syrup (sugar). So, is it worth it? Drinking this sweet elixir causes long term health problems. But is this okay? Or are the soda manufacturer's disguising this fact in flashy advertising or gifts for purchasing their product (think C point system...the more you drink the better the prize.) Our health should be more important than an MP3 player. Sadly, to many its not.
Refrence:
http://education.wichita.edu/caduceus/examples/soda/tbspn_in_can.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/028340_diabetes_sodas.html
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/joybauernutrition/sugar-how-much-should-we-eat
I never paid much attention to the amount of sugar in soda but, that would explain why my teeth hurt after drinking soda. I cant believe the amount of sugar and sodium in sodas. I am with you, I would much rather eat my calories.
ReplyDeleteI still think that I might drink a soda here and there. Honestly, I do not drink it that often. The funny thing is some people that I see drink it very often talks about how bad it is too...;-)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Shonda. I rarely look at the calories on my food least alone my soda. But, if I were on a diet I am with you on that idea I would rather eat my calories and not drink them. But it does matter because the manufacturers are all playings with us with there advertisements and prizes.
ReplyDeleteHere I am reading your blog while drinking a orange soda and I already feel guilty. Sometimes I feel that people need to watch their weight because the United States is suppose to have an obesity problem. I love soda but I can give i up because I don't drink a lot of it. I try to keep the sweets down because I do not like taking people to the dentist, especially children.
ReplyDelete