Our food seems to be unappealing unless it is pretty. So, what does pretty food look like? Shiny, pest free, without bruising or damage… How does this occur? With pesticides. Yes, it kills squishy things that enjoy the fruits as much as we do. But what can lasting exposure to pesticides to do our bodies?
Recently pesticides have been linked to ADHD in children. So, when we stop giving our children sugars gave them fruit and this is what is contributing to our children’s problems. I must stop here to say it is not known if pesticides are what is causing ADHD, it does contribute to the effects of ADHD. It is known that organophosphate (a building block in pesticides) somehow inhibits a nervous system enzyme in growing children. It has been found that those with ADHD have higher levels of organophosphate in their urine.
So what do we do? Be aware. Foods with light skins (i.e. strawberries, peaches, etc.) are more prone to absorb the pesticides, therefore we should take careful consideration and choose organic. Foods with thicker skins (i.e. mangos, avocados, etc.) don’t hold as much. Take the time, do the research and know what we are not only putting into our mouths, but the mouths of our children.
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2010/05/17/pesticides-on-produce-tied-to-adhd-in-children.html
I love finding out that the fruit I LOVE have more pesticides than the foods I have never ate or hardly eat.. Yay me. Makes me wonder how I turned out since I used to eat strawberries so much growing up, but no i know to watch the consumption on those types of foods/fruits with my nephew who isn't even 2 yet.
ReplyDeleteBut my question is once a women becomes pregnant and has a craving for fruits/foods with higher levels of pesticides can what she eats 100% effect the fetus before birth>
Wow I love your blog topic! Organic food is so expensive these days. I really hope that one day everything goes organic because all of these pesticides and unknown things we eat are so scary! I eat strawberries a lot, and to think I was eating something so shiny, pretty, and I thought..healthy! So sad!
ReplyDeleteOrganic foods are more expensive but, I am thinking I should pay the differnce and avoid the pesticides.
ReplyDelete